Thursday, May 6, 2010

Il Compleanno di Bruno, 73 anni

Bruno’s Birthday, 73 years

This past weekend Maurizio and I made a visit to his hometown in Livorno Ferraris to celebrate his father’s 73rd birthday. Since we have come back to Italy Maurizio and I have been able to celebrate 4 birthdays with his father. Bruno made sure to point out to Maurizio that these were the first 4 years his whole life. When Maurizio pointed out all the years that extended from his birth until he was 14 when he left his home in Italy his father jokingly pointed out that those didn’t count because he had to come then.
(Bruno, my father in law, the birthday boy)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Maurizio’s mom made sure to point out that Bruno always gets a party on his birthday unlike everyone else. Not only is May 1st Bruno’s birthday, it is also a national holiday (a holiday for workers called Festa dei lavoratori).
(Davide, my nephew and Teresa, my mother in law)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Since usually no one works on this day Bruno has always been able to have friends an family available on his birthday. This year was no different and all the family got together to do carne alle brace. This basically means on the grill except the meat is cooked on a piece of stone. At Maurizio’s home they have two wood burning stoves, one is the Pizza oven and they other is for the brace. They both can act as typical wood burning ovens.
(burgers cooking on the stone)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(Salvatore, my brother in law Rosanna's husband. The grill master)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

One thing we never lack at Maurizio’s mom’s house is food and this day was no different. We had meat galore. There were sausages, pork chops, steaks, chicken, hamburgers, and hotdogs. With those we had french fries, various salads and condiments. For dessert my sister in law Rosanna made an awesome tiramisu with strawberries. It was DELICIOUS!

Needless to say we were all stuffed after the lunch and we all went outside to visit and play with my niece Matilde and nephew Davide. I can’t believe how much I have been able to see all my nieces and nephew grow. Its only been 4 years but they have grown so much since I first met them. They are all turning into beautiful young ladies and a gentleman. In particular I have seen my niece Francesca grow from a young teenager to a beautiful young woman. Its been such a great experience and even though one day I wont be able to spend as much time with them I hope they will always remember these first 4 years we have had together. They have been able to see me go from being able to only say Ciao to hopefully now feeling comfortable to have a conversation with me. I love them all very much and definitely consider them my Family. My Italian family, La Mia Famiglia Italiana.
(Davide playing soccer)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(me and Matilde after I dressed her up with a little makeup)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(Erika (niece), Salvatore (brother in law), Matilde (niece), and Francesca (niece))
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(matilde and sara (mother of Matilde and my sister in law). She is married to Maurizio's twin brother Riccardo)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
After some hours resting and digesting it was time to start dinner. We all decided that for dinner we would have home made pizza cooked in the wood burning pizza oven. This oven is awesome and definitely not something we Americans are used to having but I have made Maurizio promise to build us one in the future. My sister has already picked out where she wants hers at her house too. Anyhow, Maurizio and Rosanna made the dough and laid it out, then Rosanna went to work covering the pizza’s with homemade pizza sauce (made from Teresa’s, my mother in law, tomatoes) left over sausages, mozzarella and some were topped with prosciutto cotto (cooked ham). Needless to say they were delicious especially when being washed down with some cold beer.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
All in all we had a very nice visit with the family and celebrating with Maurizio’s dad. I am not sure if I will get to see everyone together again before I leave for the states but I know and I hope they know they are in my heart with me everyday no matter where I am.

Have a look at the video of the family and making the pizza:

No comments:

Post a Comment