Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Gelato Festival

Sunday afternoon I woke up pretty late. I have been so anxious about moving that I haven’t been sleeping at all. So by the time I woke up and had my ritual caffe latte it was already close to 11:30. The weather outside was hot and sunny but I didn’t have much to do all day so I decided to go ahead and do my run. I knew it was going to be hot at 1:30pm but it looked a bit overcast so I wasn’t worried. Boy was I wrong, those 5 miles were BRUTAL! While I was stopped at a cross walk at the end a 65+-year-old Italian man ran up beside me and we discussed how hot the weather was and both continued jogging across the road. WOW he was a trooper, at his age; I hope I will be doing the same when I am older.

After some running I took a quick shower and headed out wet hair and all to the Festival of Gelato. Most Italians believe that you get sick if you leave the house with wet hair and Italians have also asked me about it, why we “Americans” do this. You always see college students running around the city with damp hair and most don’t understand this and give you concerning looks. To me its quite funny and I usually tell them that us “Americans” just aren’t as delicate as Italians! ☺ So, after receiving my many concerning looks I arrived at Piazza della Santissima Annunziata.

The festival was basically a setup throughout the major piazzas throughout Firenze with local gelato from shops around the city and Italy. You could purchase an assaggio (taste) for 1 euro or purchase a card, which allowed for more tastes. There were many different flavors and many people enjoying the cold delights in such hot weather.

This festival was exactly what we all needed in the city during such a hot week.
See a few pictures below:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment